Page Under Construction
POST Code Project
This page documents the modification of the JDR POST code board for remote
control of a computer, as well as remote reading of POST codes as a
WARNING: This section documents hardware MODIFICATIONS!
Neither I, other contributors, or FreeBSD take any responsibility for ANY
DAMAGE resulting from the use or mis-use of any information found on these
pages! If you don't understand any of the following DON'T attempt to do it!
More info/ordering for this card is at:
Note that the AMI diag software is NOT necessary for the uses outlined here.
This project provides the following functionality:
- Ability to power-cycle the computer (ATX only).
- Ability to RESET the computer.
- Ability to generate an NMI INTerrupt.
- Display of the BIOS Power On Self Test codes during boot.
- Display of the POST code as modified by running code.
It consists of the JDR POST card and the following:
- 2nd db-15 on back of POST card to bring out:
- Soft-power switch (ATX uses lowpower momentary-on switch for ON/OFF)
- Reset switch jumper
- NMI switch jumper
- disk activity jumper
- network activity jumper
- spare jumper
- speaker jumper
- remote box for desktop with:
- Soft-power switch (usefull for ATX only)
- Reset switch
- NMI switch
- 2 digit POST code display
- red disk activity LED
- yellow network activity LED
- green (spare) LED
Instructions for building.
The (incomplete) parts list. It is incomplete because
I had some of the parts in my "junk box".
testpost.c, a program to veify the LED wiring. Invoked as
'testpost -a' it will cycle each digit thru numerals 0 to F. Without the
'-a' option it will prompt for test input.
You can reach me: